At Toopi Organics, thanks to our patented biotech process, we collect andtransform human urine into biological inputs able to meet the needs of agriculture. Indeed, human urine contains nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium (N, P, K) and micronutrients. In addition to its poor fertilising effect, it is an excellent culture medium for micro-organisms.
Human urine is currently treated in an expensive and energy-consuming way (through flushing and water treatment plants). Each year in the E.U., we estimated that almost 6,000 billion litres of drinking water are flushed due to urine.
Toopi Organics has gained expertise in many aspects of urine recycling process by setting up the first semi-industrial biostimulant production unit (Loupiac de la Réole, France) using human urine as a resource .
Toopi Organics process has already been tested in agricultural fields and is patented. It is an ecological solution that is less expensive than the chemical inputs currently used in agriculture. This innovation is part of a circular, local and reproducible model. In the coming years, one of our objectives is to deploy this model on a large scale by setting up and operating territorial recovery units, in partnership with local stakeholders.
Today, Toopi Organics is …
PATENT OBTAINED IN THE PROCESS OF INTERNATIONALISATION
MARKETING AUTHORISATION APPLICATION SUBMITTED
SEMI-INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION UNIT CREATED
million liters of urine secured
With its know-how, Toopi Organics proposes to install and operate human urine recycling plants in partnership with local stakeholders : farmers, local authorities, agricultural cooperatives, agroholdings, distributors and sanitation professionals.
Toopi Organics also developed a service offer to carry out all of the preliminary studies required to set up a local human urine recovery system.
Would you like to know more about our solution ?
Our innovation is part of a circular, local and replicable model. Our urine recycling process is energy and resource efficient, and generates only a few wastes (< 1%).
All activities (collection, processing, and use) are located within a 100 km radius. Urine is collected in urban areas and bioproducts are distributed in rural areas. Thanks to the rural-urban proximity and short distribution circuits, the ecological footprint of our model is limited. Urine collection requires low-cost and easy-to-implement infrastructure adjustments (source-separating toilets). The industrial tool has a low CAPEX and future sales will be based on existing distribution systems (B2B) and on the participation of customers in their own production.
– Recycling of a waste and preservation of water resources (drinking and fresh water)
– Decrease of Greenhouse gas emissions = 1st product 169 times less impacting than mineral fertilisers
– Better food security and health preservation
– Strengthened urban-rural link
– Increased gender equality (female urinals disposal)
– Competitive products for farmers (prices definition not indexed on fertilisers markets , stable and low). Products up to 10 times cheaper than current biostimulants
– Creation of jobs that cannot be relocated (1,000 direct jobs worldwide within 6 years)
– Reducing EU dependence from countries exporting phosphorous (Russia, China, Morocco).